Family & Children’s Place will hold a Rally to End Child Abuse on Thursday, March 30th at 10:00 a.m. in the parking lot of our headquarters located at 525 Zane Street.
April is the designated start of Child Abuse Prevention Month but anyone who works and/or advocates for children understand it’s a 365 24/7 obligation.
In 2022, the Child Fatality & Near Fatality Report says that 67% of all cases reviewed involved a child four years of age or younger.
The report also says that one in seven Kentucky high school students reported having seriously considered suicide within a 12-month period. One in five of Kentucky middle school students reported having seriously considered suicide at some point in their lives.
Pam Darnall, CEO of Family & Children’s Place says, “As you can see in the report, it affects all ages. There’s not one targeted group that we need to focus on. We need to help every child so that they do not become a statistic. We can do better. We must do better.”
Child Abuse Prevention Month brings awareness to those in the community unaware of how serious the problem is in Kentuckiana. According to the latest
national report of Child Maltreatment, Kentucky has dropped in the ranking from fifth, to sixth in the rate of child abuse/neglect. Indiana remains at #11 with their rate of child abuse/neglect.
The following have confirmed their participation as speakers for the March 30th rally:
- Pam Darnall, President/CEO, Family & Children’s Place
- Lt. Governor Jacqueline Coleman
- Vic Maddox, Deputy Attorney General
- Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg
- KY State Senator Julie Raque Adams
- Roz Welch from the office of Keturah Herron, State Representative
- Eric Friedlander, KY DCBS Secretary
- Jeremy Mull, Clark County Prosecuting Attorney
- Barry Dunn, Kosair Charities
- Dr. Terry Brooks, KYA
We will also acknowledge a group of individuals who have supported our organization over the years. The following have confirmed their attendance for the rally:
- Tom Wine, Commonwealth Attorney
- Mike O’Connell, County Attorney
- Caroline Ruschell, KY CAC Executive Director
- Emily Bonistall, Marsy’s Law
- Barbara Sexton Smith, Louisville Deputy Mayor
- Nicole George, Deputy Mayor of Public Health and Services
- David James, Deputy Mayor of Emergency Services
- Dana Mayton, Deputy Mayor of Operations and Budget
- Phillip Baker, City Councilman District 6
We hope you will cover our rally. As you can see by our prestigious list of attendees, we have a lot of support and would like to have your cover our event to further educate your viewers about the staggering statistics in this community and things they can do to help stop child abuse.
If you have any questions and/or would like to setup an interview, please contact us by calling 502-341-7306 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about Family & Children’s Place visit our site at www.familyandchildrensplace.org.
WHO: Family & Children’s Place
WHAT: Rally kicking off Child Abuse Prevention Month
WHEN: Thursday, March 30, 2023, at 10:00 a.m. (In-person)
WHERE: Family & Children’s Place, 525 Zane St, Louisville, KY 40203
For more than 140 years, Family & Children’s Place has been a critical presence in Louisville, helping our most vulnerable citizens — children, that have experience physical and sexual abuse and neglect. We believe that every child deserves a happy, healthy childhood free from abuse and that every family should have the tools and resources to maintain self-sufficiency.
Our Mission: We protect and heal children and families.